

One of the ministries that the students are involved in this year is working with underpriviledged kids in the community and being mentors and running a kids club. Apparently many of the Chuukese kids on the island of Guam run into problems in the school system and end up in youth detention programs. Since many of our students are Chuukese, DYA is hoping that pairing these students up with older mentors will solve problems later. Normally I don't go on these ministry trips but unfortunately, Hollie was side lined with the virus which has been attacking us and I was needed to drive.
One belief is that the reason so many Chuukese students get in trouble is that they are misunderstood culturally. Those from the Chuukese culture believe that they should use as few words as possible. This has led to developing a method of communication which is very subtle using the face. Raising the eyebrows means yes. Someone not familiar with the custom could easily think the student was being disrespectful by refusing to answer a question. The longer I work with the students on campus I come to appreciate this form of communication. Unfortunately when I try it - they just roll with laughter because I apparently make all kinds of weird expressions in the process of trying to raise my eyebrows.

No comments:
Post a Comment