Some people wonder can you really be that stupid??? Well YES apparently I CAN. You would think after a night mare last Spring where I almost lost all my data when at the last minute it was all miraculously spared..... I might have been more likely to back up my data on a regular schedule. At the end of last week, I seriously considered it. However I thought I had a more pressing need for my memory stick when I gave it to a friend to copy some files for me. I thought WHAT are the chances something will happen this particular week. I had been absolutely fine with no signs of problems since the computer was last restored. However APPARENTLY the chances were EXTREMELY high because several days later while I was still waiting for my memory stick to return, my computer died again. Only this time when I took it to the shop, they told me there was no hope.... it was DOA (Dead on arrival) with no chance of breathing life into it.
My friend suggested that I try to start it with Linux in the disk drive.... but it still could not access the hard drive.
Another friend, who is a major geek for fun type of person (please don't think this is meant to be negative), suggested last time that I put the hard drive in a plastic bag in the freezer. That did not work either.... but it was a fun experiment.
The Computer repair place was going to charge me approximately $250 for parts and service. That seemed like way too big of investment for a 2 year old laptop. So I ordered a $60 part off the internet.... and on first appearances - it even looks like they may even mail it to Guam. (For some reason many companies will not mail electronic products to Guam.) I still have the software I need to load on the computer and I have done that more than once before even though it is a pain....my labor is free. In the mean time I have computers available through the school that I can send email and access things that I need to access.
If you hear a loud banging....just know it is me....banging my head on the wall..... Sheesh.
Thursday, October 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment